Monastery of Barefoot Carmelites
The Monastery of Barefoot Carmelites in Prague is a remarkable Baroque monastery building located in Prague's Hradčany in the southwestern part of the Hradčany Square in Prague 1 district.
It also includes the Church of St. Benedict, which once used to be the parish church for the historical city of Hradcany, its present appearance dates back to the mid-18th century, when it belonged to the Barnabites order. The church holds the mummified body of the venerable abbess Marie Elekta (1605-1663). The remains were repeatedly scientifically investigated and apparently, the integrity of the body still lasts.
The monastery is located in the place where once stood the house of the poet Bohuslav Hasištejnsky of Lobkowicz. Emperor Joseph II abolished both the monastery and the church as part of its reforms, but his successor, Emperor Leopold II restored the monastery again and donated it to the female order of the Barefoot Carmelites. In 1950 the building of the monastery was forcibly evacuated due to the communist reprisals against Catholic religious orders, and then the whole area was rebuilt into a luxury hotel for communist bigwigs.
From 1985 to 1991 it underwent a major reconstruction. In 1992 it regained its original purpose of the Church, the hotel inventory was sold at an auction and the interior of the building was re-adjusted according to the order of the law and practice.