The bridge is named after a famous painter of the 19th century Josef Mánes (one of the prominent representatives of Czech romanticism) and is the ninth bridge over the Vltava river.
It stands on a site of an old ferry system that connected a fishermen village. However, another of his predecessors was a suspended iron footbridge, which connected the Old Town and the Lesser Town Klárov from 1869. The bridge was built according to the design by the engineers František Mencl and Alois Nový. The architects Pavel Janák, Vlastimil Hofman and Mečislav Petrů had also worked on the bridge. It is made of concrete and was constructed in the style of Czech cubism.
The bridge is 186 metres long, 16 metres wide and consists of 4 segmental arches. The decoration was taken care of by the leading Czech sculptors, who created figural friezes with the themes from the life of the Vltava swimmers. It is worth noting that since 2009 there has been a Walk of Fame, where brass stars are installed as a tribute to Czech composers. In addition, it is one of the few bridges over the Vltava river used apart from cars and pedestrians for trams as well.
You might also be interested in
Built in 1876 because of the industrial boom in Smíchov, it is the third oldest still functioning stone bridge in Prague. It was built to accommodate the needs of the rapidly growing Smíchov ...
The bridge is named after a famous painter of the 19th century Josef Mánes (one of the prominent representatives of Czech romanticism) and is the ninth bridge ...