Jakubská Street connects the streets Malá Štupartská and Rybná and belongs to one of the oldest streets in Prague. It measures about 100 meters and its name is derived from the nearby Church of St James.
It also used to be called By St James or Behind St James. At the beginning of the 20th century there used to be a garden called Kopmanka with a one storey pub. Today there are classicist art nouveau buildings with a bar in the basement and shops, which were built in the years 1913-1916. A Prague pedestrian who would walk the street in the past on 5th March on the St Filip could witness the ancient custom of dropping a goat from the tower.
The Old Town butchers would bring a goat to the church, dragged him to the tower and dropped down into the Jakubská Street. Then the goat was roasted and eaten on the spot. This tradition was established to commemorate St James, who was also toppled from the Jerusalem temple.