The Franciscan Monastery
The Franciscan monastery is part of the Church of Our Lady of Snow and is located in the vicinity of Jungmannovo Square. The architecture of this monastery building, constructed in the 17th century, is characterized by moderation and simplicity of form. A survey has revealed beneath its early Baroqiw style the remains of the original Gothic cloister of the Carmelite monastery.
However, the Gothic monastery was situated further to the west than the present one, evidently encroaching into today’s Jungmann Square. Adjoining the cloister on the southern side is the extensive vaulted refectory, the large dining-room of the brothers. Its eastern wall is covered by a painting with a Calvary scene, attributed to the distinguished Baroque artist Karel Škréta. In the courtyard, there is a protected yew tree, which largely overgrows the Baroque statue of Our Lady, from the early 17th century. According to the legend, it was before this statue that one of the fourteen Franciscan brothers, Jerome of Ares, was murdered at the time of the invasion by the forces of the Bishop of Passau in 1611.
Traces of blood were discovered when the statue was restored recently. The conventual chapel, which was constructed in the 1990s, is dedicated to St. John Capistrano, the first patron saint of the independent Bohemian province if the Franciscans. There is situated the famous portrait of Capistrano by the German painter Thomas Burgkmair.