The small square was once Prague’s coal market and stands in the southwestern corner of the Old Town, in an area known as St Gall’s Town. A number of buildings from this period have been preserved.
At the Three Golden Lions (U tří zlatých Lvů) house is originally Gothic and was given a Baroque facelift after 1678. At the end of the 18th century it was owned by the composer František Dušek, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart stayed here in 1787.
The Platýz House, by the courtyard of the same name that leads off Uhelný trh bears a bust of composer Franz Liszt, who gave concerts there.