The Church of St. Norbert
The Church of St. Norbert dominates the Střešovice quarter of Prague and the decision to build a new church in this district was made at the end of the 19th century in order to serve the needs of the Premonstrat order. The church construction was initiated by the abbot of the Premostrat’s monastery Zikmund Starý.
The church was consecrated to St. Norbert, the original founder of the Premonstratensian’s order. The building was designed in the neo-Romanesque style by architect František Rožánek, and the foundation stone was laid in 1890. With its ground plan forming the shape of a cross, the building is 44 meters in length, 13 meters in width and 15 meters in height, with two chapels on each side.
The interior features two side altars and one main sanctuary. The prismatic tower situated at the face of the building, is adorned with curved moulding, piedroits, triangular gables above three-paned windows and with an octahedral helmet roof, which is crowned with a spire and finial. The tower is accessible by the stone stairs, which lead up to the organ-loft. Both original bells were confiscated during the First World War, and so were their replacements during the second.
Today, the tower houses the bell that comes from St. George’s in Jevany-Aldašín, cast in 1601 and the other one, called Felix, was cast in Passau, Germany. The church also features a third bell, dating from 1891, is located in a second classic Sanctus steeple.