Church of St. Nicholas (Lesser Town Square)
Church of St. Nicholas, also known as Cathedral of St. Nicholas, is a Baroque church located in Prague's Lesser Town Square. It was built between the years 1704-1755 on the site of a Gothic church from the 13th century. Up to the 17th century there also stood the Romanesque Rotunda of St. Wenceslas. The church is often considered the most beautiful baroque building in Prague.
The temple is located in the corner of the building complex of the former Jesuit College. Storied facade of the temple is widely spaced and decorated with a balustrade and finished with a gable extension. The church excels in architecture as well as in decoration, which was carried out by the leading Czech sculptors and artists. It was built in several stages during the first half 18th century.
The building was first designed by Christopher Dientzenhofer and later his son Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer continued his work. The west façade was built in the years 1703 - 1711, foyer area with the choir, St. Barbara’s chapel and St. Anna’s chapel. Kilian Ignaz edited his father's project and suggested including a higher dome and adjacent tower. The upper part of the tower was built by Lurago Anselmo, who Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer’s disciple and son in law.