Church of Our Lady Victorious
Built by German Lutherans in 1611 – 1612 and consecrated to the Holy Trinity the church has a history that is linked to the history of Prague itself. Interestingly, it was the first Baroque church in Prague, built by Giovanni Maria Filippi, a member of the court of Emperor Rudolph II.
Having achieved victory over the Counter-Reformation, Emperor Ferdinand II bestowed the church upon the Discalced Carmelites as a sign of gratitude for their contribution to the Imperial army’s victory at the Battle of White Mountain. The Carmelites then consecrated the church to Our Lady Victorious, reconstructed it to the form we see today.
The interior of the church prides itself in Baroque style – the early Baroque main altar from 1716 is characteristic for it alternating black and gold finish. In addition, many altarpieces are valuable works of art, Peter Brandl, the distinguished Czech painter, is one of the painters whose work can be seen in the church. The famous statue of the Infant Jesus of Prague, also known in Catholic countries as Bambino di Praga, donated to the church by Polyxena of Lobkovic in 1628, is located inside the church. This famous wax statue is 16th century Spanish workmanship, is 47 centimeters tall, and the inside is wrapped in canvas coated with wax.
There is a small museum which houses clothing and other religious items. Today, the church belongs to the Roman Catholic Church and service is also held in English, French, Italian and Spanish.